10/04/2008

Trip to Masan, Jinhae, and Busan

The trip was great. I took a train at 5:49 Friday morning to Suncheon then one to Masan immediately afterward. After walking around in Masan for about  hours I headed to Jinhae and walked around some there too. I went to the church building and saw the old bishop there...he didn't remember me! lol.  Then I took a bus to Busan, arriving about 4PM. This gave me time to walk around and eat dinner while it was still light. Then, instead of getting a room for the night, I decided to just keep walking around until I had seen everything I wanted to. Then I headed back to Jinhae by train. I think walked at least 30 miles overall. My feet hurt. Here are the pics and videos I took.
Post office in Masan. This is where you get off the bus.
I walked up the hill and found the exact apartment I lived in.
Then I walked what I remember to be about a half mile, which turned out to be about 3 miles, down the road to this bench that I took a picture on 4 years ago, and took a taxi back.
The walk down from the apartment is very beautiful and interesting, with curving alleys and paths between houses.




The church building in Masan.
Yes, the fine culinary arts of the east. Cheese of the sea.
I only spent a couple hours in Jinhae, finding less to do than I had anticipated. This store in Jinhae is part of a funny coincidence. I was joking with my companion about how unoriginal the store names typically are. For example, occasionally they will just put the korean word for "land" after the main product they sell, such as hardware land, or kimbap land, etc. to create the store name. I had just purchased some hoddeok, which is a kind of fried sugary treat, and said, jokingly, "someone should make a hoddeok land." About two days later we found it. It is particularly odd because I've never seen another store that specializes in hoddeok. Usually it is just something people sell in addition to whatever it is they normally make.




This is in front of Busan University. The video quality is bad, but in the back right near the end you can see a  large blue building under construction. Actually, I noticed several new huge apartment complexes in Busan. Several looked as tall as I've ever seen.
This is in the Geumjeong area in north Busan walking up the hill from the Beomeosa station. Beomeosa is a Buddhist temple, so most people come to this area to go hiking.
Now I am back... finally!

7 comments:

kagari said...

I'm just waiting for the choglings to pour out of that building.

kagari said...

Are the dish names like that in Korean?

kagari said...

hey i can sortof read it if i know what the sign says... maybe they'd have englishland

kagari said...

That food looks so good! Lucky...
I had Cafe Rio steak salad tonight though.

Unknown said...

Nice videos. It's nice to hear your voice instead of just some blog. . So, that is one of the longest days ever man. holy crap. 30 miles of walking?!?!

d.f. said...

well, the dish names are not normally like that, even in Korean, but this time they were very weird in English and even in Korean, hence the pic. Ot was an extremely long day, and I just woke up after sleeping for 15 hours.

kagari said...

Still jealous of that great looking meal