8/31/2008

No school tomorrow


So during break I have just been going down to Jeonbuk University every day to meet people or play basketball or soccer. I've met many very nice people, and even been approached by about 12 pairs of missionaries of various religions....

First, Gihun and Bongjin, I met playing basketball. They are both really cool, and of course very nice. Gihun later introduced me to some older men who play soccer at a nice facility every thursday at 3pm. Gihun leaves for Seoul soon to go to school to become a policeman. I will miss him.

Next, a group of girls.  Jiun, Myeongjin, Jihae, Youngeun, and I think.....Sumin....oops, she's going to be mad I forgot her name...They all came to watch me play soccer on Thursday and cheer. It was fun. They are all first year students, so are a little younger than I am. I invited some of them to go with me to the zoo here in Jeonju yesterday, but only Jiun could come. It was very fun and ended up being a kind of date. That night we went together to a free acoustic guitar performance put on by Jeonbuk students.

Finally, I met some older guys, grad students, who are really good at English and play soccer every Saturday morning at 7AM. I played with them yesterday morning before going to the zoo. Notably there is another foreigner, Bobby, who is also quite good at soccer and actually speaks Korean ok. He seems nice.

We had our official meeting today followed by dinner together. My schedule follows.
MT: Yong Bong Elementary School
W: Yong Jin Middle School
Th: Bong Seong Elementary School
F: Gan Jung Elementary School

I basically have to walk down to the Wanju Education building by my house every day by 8AM where someone will pick me up to take me to the schools, all of which are about 10 minutes north of Jeonju. I am done at 3pm and take a bus home.

Tomorrow I would be teaching at Yong Bong Elementary, but it is Yong Bong's memorial day holiday, so I have no class. Everyone else does, haha.



This is Jiun. Near the zoo is a small amusement park so we went on a couple rides for fun.
Baby elk.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dang, that's my boy!!! But a picture of a baby elk?!?!? Where are the pics of the cool animals? Was this some sort of "petting zoo"? lol . . . Glad to here you're out there taking names in soccer, that's pretty cool. Good luck teaching on Tuesday.

d.f. said...

There were tigers and lions too, but were at least 20 feet away so it wouldn't make such a beautiful picture. There were monkeys too, and curiously 3 different kinds of dogs on display that you would think of as just pets in the states. Hey, it was less than $2 to get in....